Sunday, July 08, 2007

SAYING GOODBYE TO JOAN & PETE

I've just written the account of Joy/Joan's death; had myself in tears remembering it all - can't believe that it'll be a year ago in a matter of weeks! I'm glad I got to share that time with the family, with the members of it I knew best. What a send-off they gave me when I came down for the funeral. I drove down because I had tons of stuff to collect; I'd been there for 18 months, working back to back with Fi for most of it, 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off. They helped me pack up the car, after trying to ply me with whisky, and the whole pile of them waved me off; about fifteen of them, they blew kisses and waved till I turned the corner of the lane.

The funeral was beautiful; the same vicar did the service, but the family had managed to make it very different from Pete's. It was videoed for those in Australia who hadn't been able to make both funerals. The oldest son, from Oz, stood and spoke about his mother and had us all tripping over with tears, himself too. But lots of laughter, and I know Joan would've loved it all. They were a very special couple, and I will never forget them.

No comments: