Saturday, May 27, 2006

BUTTERFLY


BUTTERFLY 6th July ‘06

After lunch today Joy and I sat outside on the swinging sofa, I love sitting there, in any kind of weather; it's under the porch, and so vertical rain doesn't get you. The rain had stopped and the grass was dry. Suddenly, we were dive-bombed by a butterfly. I've been trying to get a photograph of one all year but they never stop in this garden; they fly through as if their very lives depended on it, so this one took us completely by surprise. It landed on the wheelchair and let me take loads of photos...even turned around in a complete circle for me. Then it flew on to the window frame and showed me its full wingspan from the back. After that it flew round and around me, landing on my skirt, then finally settled on Joy's hand. It stayed there for ages and allowed me to keep snapping away...it moved up to her arm and I continued. All the time the camera was only a couple of inches away; it wasn't bothered at all by the noise of the machine. I couldn't believe this beautiful creature. Why was it so tame? I wondered if it had escaped from a butterfly farm or something.

THINGS PEOPLE SAY 7th July ‘06

A friend of the family sent Joy a book with a great title, 'ALL IN THE END IS HARVEST', an anthology of writings and verse for those who grieve. There are some little gems in here...my favourite is: 'Look to this day!

...for yesterday is already a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision, but today, well-lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow, a vision of hope...'
From the Sanskrit (author & translator unknown)

Thinking about the butterfly; some people will believe that it was the reincarnation of Peter - now he has joined the real people, the dead, he can have his real name - Gent will now be known as Pete.

No comments: